Congratulations to Heather Davenport, 2018 Young Hero Award (ages 14-17) recipient!
Heather Davenport is a senior at Mountain View High School and a remarkable young lady who has demonstrated leadership in our community throughout her youth. She is passionate about helping others and promoting philanthropic efforts. She has helped address unmet needs in our community through her personal efforts, service projects, and innovative ideas for tackling real life issues. She has touched many lives through numerous causes.
Heather was a featured speaker at the first Central Oregon Teen TEDx Salon.
As Heather has grown, she continues to immerse herself into a variety of service projects. She has always believed in being part of something bigger than herself. She was a performer in a CASA benefit concert held at the Tower Theatre. Heather was a featured speaker at the first Central Oregon Teen TEDx Salon. Her platform was the impacts of social media in today’s society and how it can affect your mental health and the balance of social relationships.
Heather is a steadfast communicator using her skills to the betterment of those around her. She was selected to serve as a Youth Tour Delegate last summer to represent Central Oregon’s youth in Washington, D.C. Serving as an ambassador for Oregon, she met with congressional representatives and senators to discuss current issues. This spring she will speak at the annual meeting to share her experience with the CEC members.
Heather is a steadfast communicator using her skills to the betterment of those around her.
Heather is a strong supporter of education. She has been a member of the National Honor Society since middle school. She is currently the President of her high school National Honor Society. Members conduct a minimum of 30 hours of community service each year. She has maintained a 4.0 GPA throughout middle school and high school. Her AP classes push her to a 4.19 GPA. She has promoted education in many ways. The most recent was her desire to place a Little Free Library in her neighborhood. She up-cycled materials to build the library to promote literacy and the knowledge of learning in an under-served part of town.
Heather is a leader in her high school community. She is a member of the Linc Crew who mentor and support Freshman students throughout their first year in high school. She is a varsity tennis player. Her coach named her Most Inspirational Player. She is President of the Rotary Interact Club. This club works in conjunction with the Rotary Club of Bend. The club supported the Daddy Daughter Dance whose proceeds raised funds for a local homeless shelter. The clubs current project is Pennies for Patients. Heather is hopeful to surpass last year’s campaign that raised $400. She is also currently a participant in the Mountain View Cougar Pageant to help raise funds for the Sparrow Club child and the Mountain View Student Assistance Fund. The pageant is predicted to raise $12,000 this year. Heather is independently raising a $1,000 toward this cause.
Over the last five years, during schools breaks and holidays, Heather has helped run a Meals on Wheels route. She has learned about the challenges facing our senior community. She spends time with home bound seniors and the joy her youthful presence brings to their day is evident from the smiles on their faces.
Recipient’s Organizations and Activities:
- National Youth Tour Delegate
- Rotary Youth Leadership Award
- President-Rotary International Interact Club, MVHS
- Implemented Toys for Tots Program at school
- Pennies For Patients
- Clothing Drives
- School Literacy-dictionary distributions
- Daddy Daughter Dance
- President- National Honor Society, MVHS
- 30 hours of volunteer service per year
- President-National Honor Art Society, MVHS
- Elementary school outreach program
- Habitat for Humanity-Gingerbread Junction
- Student Council Arts Liaison-member of high school leadership team 2016/2017
- Polar Plunge to benefit Special Olympics
- Canned Food Drives
- Family Access Network Giving Tree
- Elks Club Holiday Meal and Gift DeliveriesCougar Pageant Participant-raise funds and awareness for the Sparrow Club and Mountain View Student Assistance Fund
- Competitive Speech and Debate Team
- Varsity Tennis Team, MVHS
- Cultural Exploration Club, MVHS
- Fashion Club, MVHS
- Varsity Dance Team, MVHS 2014/2015
- TEDx Teen Salon Featured Speaker
- Little Free Library-personal public service project
- Youth Sports Coach/Program Director for Skyhawks Sports Academy
- Vocal Singer
- Meals on Wheels assistant
- AP Scholar
- Honors Graduate
- Renaissance Humanities Career Endorsement
- Dual enrollment classes at COCC