April 6, 2017
TO: Chair, Representative Ann Lininger
Vice-Chair, Representative Pam Marsh
Vice-Chair, Representative David Brock Smith
House Committee on Economic Development and Trade
RE: Support HB 3139 with the -2 Amendment
Dear Chair Lininger, Vice-Chair Marsh, Vice-Chair Brock Smith and Members of the Committee:
The Bend Chamber of Commerce represents nearly 1300 members with over 27,000 employees who access arts and culture, including the art of cultural heritage, through such organizations as the High Desert Museum. This letter is in support of HB 3139 with the proposed -2 Amendment for the following reasons:
• HB3139-2 articulates the definition in statute more clearly and includes museum activities specifically.
• The definition of art and the work of museums is adopted from the National Endowment for the Arts.
• Moreover, this bill clarifies the original, 1967 legislative intent of the Commission to fund organizations like the High Desert Museum in communities where access to arts is more limited than more urban areas of the State.
• The new language in the bill more clearly delineates who is eligible for funding from the Commission and also directs the agency to examine regional parity in funding and access to arts and culture experiences when making eligibility and funding decisions.
• The language change restores the status quo and allows arts and culture organizations that have previously been eligible and have received funding to once again be eligible for competitive grant opportunities.
• Importantly, this legislation fills the gap between the statutes and policy so the Oregon Arts Commission has clear guidelines for funding arts and culture organizations throughout our State.
We ask you to support HB 3139 and appreciate your service.
Bend Chamber of Commerce