TECH (Teen Elder Computer Help) is an intergenerational training class developed by and coordinated by the Central Oregon Council on Aging (COCOA).
The program holds classes where teens spend one-on-one time with seniors to teach them how to use modern technology. The purpose of the classes is to help seniors remain in contact with their friends and family during a time when communication and involvement is transitioning to social networking.
Seniors 75 and older are the fastest growing age group on social networking sites. According to the Pew Research Center, social media usage has grown to 59 percent among seniors who use the internet. This program will pair seniors and students in our community to meet the senior’s technology needs and keep them interconnected and active. At the same time, students will have the opportunity to experience ‘teaching,’ learn from their elders, and perform community service.
For example, seniors can learn how to:
- Email, forward, attaching photos and documents
- Set up and use Facebook, Skype, Instagram, internet searching, website navigation
- Program their phone, text, set up voice mail, change the ringtone
Get general answers to:
- What is the difference between Facebook, Skype, Twitter, and Linked in?
- What is a virus and how can I avoid it?
- Why do I have to defrag, empty temporary folders and clean out sent emails?
- What is archiving?
- What is the difference between a wifi, modem, and router?
After filling out a few brief forms, seniors will be matched with a well-trained and respectful student who will then work with the senior during free training opportunities, conveniently held in Bend. The student will be volunteering their time and will work with the senior in a setting which is both monitored and convenient.
Student Volunteer Training Day
Wednesday, July 8 at 2:30 p.m.
Where: Central Oregon Council on Aging (COCOA)
373 NE Greenwood Ave.
Bend, OR 97701
First TECH Class
Wednesday, July 15at 2:30-3:30 p.m.
Where: Bend Downton Library
601 NW Wall St.
Bend, OR 97701
- August 12 at 2:30-3:30 p.m. at Bend’s Community Center
- September 16 at 2:30-3:30 p.m. at the Bend Downtown Library
- October 21 at 2:30-3:30 p.m. at the Bend Downtown Library
- November 11 at 2:30-3:30 p.m. at the Bend Downtown Library
Student Volunteer Registration:
Contact: Bill Hiatt, volunteer TECH program coordinator
Phone: 541- 977-0868
Class Registration for Seniors:
Contact: Nicole Corey, information and resource specialist at COCOA
Phone: 541-678-5483 ext. 109